Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The. Best. Sandwich. Ever.

I was having another one of those, "Grr, I have nothing in my fridge... what do I eat?" days and before I headed to work, decided "Hey! I'm going to make a sandwich!" (I rarely eat sandwiches). Inspired by a Saving Gigi sandwich I ate the other day that was epically delicious as well, I created this. The. Best. Sandwich. Ever.

Isn't it pretty?

Ingredients:

for tapenade
-sundried tomatoes
-fresh basil
-olive oil
-pine nuts
-garlic cloves
for sandwich
-toast of choice

-avocado
-mustard (I used sweet red pepper jelly mustard)
-crab pieces (I used out of a can)
-portobello mushroom
-salt and pepper

Directions:

1). To make tapenade: Throw a handful of sundried tomatoes, some fresh basil leaves, a few garlic cloves, a few pine nuts and olive oil into a magic bullet (or blender) and pulse until blended. Add oil until at desired consistency.
2). Heat skillet to medium high and fry portobello mushroom in a bit of olive oil for approximately 5 minutes, flipping twice. Sprinkle some fresh ground pepper and a tiny pinch of salt on either side while frying. Toast bread while this is happening.
3). Mash 1/8 of an avocado onto a slice of the toasted bread. Layer mustard, tapenade and crab on top of that.
Place hot portobello on top of everything and you have yourself the best open-face sandwich you will ever eat!

Guaranteed to cure all ills!

No comments:

Post a Comment